Friday, September 3, 2010

The Toast Factory

Today when we arrived home from errands (and a yard sale or two) it was time for lunch. Since I was on the couch nursing Ellie Jay and Kay were on their own for making their PB&J sandwiches. I was happily reading a book for upcoming book club while feeding her when Jay came and asked if he could make toast. He recently had watched the toaster at work. I told him of course he could.

So Jay took every piece of bread out of the bag and toasted it. Then he buttered it (also a new skill today) and passed them out to everyone. He was so pleased with his new skill that he asked if he could make toast for everyone for our next 3 meals!

Did I "teach" him to butter bread or make toast? Nope. So he owned the experience. All the more reason for him to feel so great about himself and his accomplishment. He learned that he CAN do things; and do them well. On his own.
These type of experiences remind me that some of the best learning happens when I simply am too busy to do things for the kids and let them figure out how to do them on their own. I just need to get out of their way sometimes. They may not do the PB&J like I had anticipated, but instead they gain something so much more valuable!


I'm writing this down to remind myself ;)

No comments: